Saturday, March 28, 2009

My first...

I never thought I would be someone who would air my private thoughts on a public page. So for the time being, there will be few of you who read this.

Usually I write with pen on paper. It is more romantic and the thoughts flow more easily. I live in a world of ideals, you see, and sometimes I work hard to make my life more romantic, idealistic. This blog may be my subconscious attempt to live in a world of reality, to live in a world of fast-flowing information, of times and seasons that change before I have become accustomed to my way of life.

It's a crazy thing- change. I haven't decided yet if I like it much. For the first time in my life, I am settled. I just bought a house and now have no plans of moving soon. It will be the first time since I left for college that I won't move after a year. I guess its a good thing I like the house. Change is exciting. I have become accustomed to the excitement. Now I am coming to the realization life can also be normal. I am normal.

Really? I am normal? All too often I feel that way. But I have never believed I would only ever attain normalcy. I thought I would attain more.

Ecclesiastes says life is just a breath and everything- pleasure, power, money, fame, wisdom and knowledge- is just chasing after the wind.

I think I would rather be a full 'normal' then an empty 'incredible'.

And so, I get to the point of this blog, or at least my blog's title. Pound Nails came out a conversation with a friend as we were tossing around names for the blog I was insisting I would never write. In describing my job, I say- I work in construction. Kinda, I mean, I don't pound the nails, but if they don't know where they go- I help them figure it out. I am the controller of the documents, the communicator between the design team, the workers and the owner, and (help my boss) manage the construction process from beginning to end.

Later I will probably tell you how I ended up in construction, but tonight I will tell you one reason why I like it. I like dichotomies. Sometimes I feel like my life has a lot of them. A woman in construction and doing well at it? Competing and surviving with the guys? That's not normal. This isn't an industry women usually gravitate to. Its a challenge and humorous to me at the same time. And I like the looks on people's faces when I tell them what I do and that I wear a hard hat and orange vest. It's not great for style points but I am trying to get over that. Maybe I will tell you sometime about they day I asked my boss for a "dress day" because I was trying to feel feminine amidst the jeans, collared shirts and work boots. He said the scaffolding might present problems!

So far my biggest challenge has been being a girl in a male-dominated industry- being successful and giving it my all and yet not compromising who I am in the process.
I guess that is what this blog will be about.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment